On Wednesday I took a road trip to Elko, Nevada to spend Thanksgiving with my big bro and his family. Of course, I pulled out all the stops, meaning I brought some munchies (diet Coke, Triscuits, Mint M&M's, and carrots) and queued up some rockin' tunes on my iPod. Four hours is a long time to think while driving, which I often do, and that thinking prompted this post...
I get so tired of music and media that demeans the beauty of human-hood (the art/joy of being a human being). There are a few songs that come out every year that inspire me and I end up wanting everyone to be inspired by them too. So here's a little list. Go forth and be inspired!
WARNING: Some songs may appear to be cheesy or sung by a cheesy singer, just be patient and listen to the message. And this is not in any way, shape, or form a male-bashing post, so don't even begin to get the wrong idea.
#1: Selena Gomez "Who Says"
This is one of those I wish my students would really listen to or any girl that doesn't believe they're beautiful inside and out. Who says you're not perfect just the way you are?!
#2: Sara Bareilles "King of Anything"
This is a great one to listen to after break-ups, by the way, but it's got some major 'tude and I love it! Who made you the King?! Because I'm pretty sure you're not the boss of me. ;)
#3: Colbie Caillat "Fearless"
This is one of my favorite Colbie songs and probably one of my favorite songs of all time. I think as you're dating and making friends, sometimes it's hard to remember to put all of yourself into life. Yeah, we get hurt sometimes, but it'll all be worth it in the end. I side with love.
#4: Kelly Clarkson "Miss Independent"
Amen, sister!
#5: Glee Cast "Loser Like Me"
LOVE this! This is for anyone who may have ever been made to feel like less of a person, for one reason or another. I see kids getting picked on all the time, and it makes my heart hurt.
There are so many more songs that have great messages behind them and that boost my spirits when I might get a little down about life. BUT these are the ones I came across during my four-hour drive to Nevada this week. ENJOY! :)
Oh and here's another of my favs, just when you think life might not "Be O.K." don't worry, it will!
Okay...and one more, but I promise that's all!
Sidenote about these two: On Tuesday, I had a student come back to school whose grandpa had just passed away. This song happened to come on during class, and she says something about how she hates happy songs (with a smile on her face - she's always smiling and joking around), but I told her how great this song was and played Ingrid's "Be O.K." after this one as another "happy song." I love happy songs. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment